Belly Binding is also known as Bengkung belly binding and is derived from Malaysian practices in the postpartum period. It consists of wrapping the postpartum belly from the ribcage down to right above the hips with a thing muslin fabric. This can be worn over a thin top and worn for 12-24 hours in the first binding, then 6-12 hours per day for the next 1-2 weeks.
Potential benefits to belly binding include:
- helping muscles and organs return to their pre-pregnancy placement
- support with proper posture, especially when feeding your newborn
- helping close diastasis recti (abdominal separation), a common occurrence in pregnancy\
- slimming the ribcage, belly, and hips
We recommend binding by day 2-3 after birth for a pelvic birth and 2 weeks after birth for a cesarean birth (with your provider’s approval).
- This includes 1 visit to your home, or virtually to provide instruction in belly binding
- 1 belly binding wrap.